The secret to living the life of your dreams is to start living the life of your dreams today, in every little way you possibly can. – Mike Dooley
Yesterday, the first of January, was my birthday. I kid you not.
Making resolutions for the New Year has always been of special significance to me, given that I’ve got twice the motivation to do so. Well, supposedly, that is, although my resolutions tend to never make it past the first two weeks of the year, let alone my birth month. But I’ve got a good feeling about this year, 2015. I’ve got nothing to base this feeling on—I don’t pay much attention to the news, finding them dripping in negativity for the most part. It’s got nothing to do with the supposed Blood Moon Prophecy either, which I’ve only just heard of.
I do find it interesting, though, that the UN declared 2015 the “International Year of Light.” Or rather, the “International Year of Light and Light-based Technologies,” which will “focus on the science and applications of light, and seek to raise global awareness of how optics and photonics can have a positive impact in fields as diverse as energy, education, agriculture and health.”
Yes, it’s all very science-y, but an international year dedicated to light. Can you believe it? As someone who believes very firmly that our consciousness, our very spirit is Light—Divine Light or God, depending on what you believe in—I find it inspiring to have a year dedicated to Light, to focusing on the Light within us, to giving thanks for the Light that continues to guide us in every aspect of our lives.
In keeping with this, instead of resolutions, this year I’ve come up with some questions meant to shed Light into my own consciousness, showing up what beliefs I have that don’t work anymore, and shining the beam of my awareness on the best of me instead of the worst of me.
I’m hoping that by doing this, I can help make the world around me a little better.
Here is my list of Light-triggering questions for the year:
- What am I grateful for? What gives me a good, loved, strengthened, refreshed and inspired feeling inside? And how can I focus more and create more of these in my life?
- What didn’t work for me last year? What were the low moments? What were the thoughts or internal dialogues running through my head during each of these moments? Who exactly was talking then, and where exactly did these thoughts come from? And am I willing to disregard these thoughts and live this year without them?
- Money has always been an issue for me. But if money was a person, what kind of person would it be? What issues do I have with money? If it could talk, what would it say to me, and with whose face? And am I willing to make friends with it this year?
- In all the conflicts I’ve had with the people in my life, what thoughts, inner dialogues and expectations did I have that fueled these conflicts and hurt feelings? Am I willing to live this year without these inner dialogues and expectations, and just love the people around me exactly as they are?
- How can I be a better friend to myself? How do I take care of myself spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically and creatively? Am I willing to do something different this year, and make taking care of me my top priority? If not, what am I scared of, and who am I trying not to let down by putting everyone else ahead of me?
- What tiny, entirely manageable changes can I do that would take me closer to my dreams by the end of this year? How much of my income can I set aside for savings? How much time in a day can I dedicate to meditation and writing? How much of my mental processes can I dedicate to just living in the moment?
- God is within me, and I am within God. God is the world, and I am the world. God is in everyone and everything around me, and I am, too. What little things can I do to demonstrate this?
And one more thing: Thank you to everyone, and a truly blessed Year of Light to you all.